Enough is enough! Now is the time to reimagine what public safety requires, starting with our local officials.
To begin this change, we call on mayors and local police precincts to:
- Reinvest city budgets to expand restorative justice programs, provide alternatives to incarceration, demilitarize the police, provide crisis intervention and de-escalation training, and invest funds in education, housing, and mental health services.
- Require officers to de-escalate situations when possible, establish a use-of-force continuum that restricts the most severe types of force, and report each time they use force or threaten to use force against civilians.
- Ban chokeholds and neck restraints in all cases.
- Require officers to give a verbal warning before shooting and ban shooting at moving vehicles.
- Require officers to intervene and stop the use of excessive force by other officers.
The time is now to transform policing in this nation, put an end to police violence and brutality and ensure equal protection under the law for everyone.
Please note: If, after clicking "Write Message," you get an error that says "PAF Validation Failed, Contact Not Found," or the next page is blank, our system unfortunately does not have your local officials in the database. We apologize for the inconvenience.